Sample purification: How to separate big things from bigger things?

Yuval Ebenstein via methods%40net.bio.net (by uv At chem.ucla.edu)
Tue Nov 21 02:07:09 EST 2006

Hello there.
Haven't found a standard protocol for solving this;
My sample is large fragments of dsDNA (7kb-50kb)  conjugated to a
quantum dot or 40nm bead (sometimes more than one).
I have a problem purifying it from the unconjugated, free beads and DNA.
They do run in different bands in an agarose gel but for some reason i
could not recover the sample. Electroelution yielded nothing when
following the manufacturer protocol (biorad), and I also tried digesting
the agarose with beta-agaraze but got no results.
Tips and ideas are most welcome.
Thanks
Yuval

Yuval Ebenstein
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, UCLA
Young Hall-2002, 607 Charles E. Young Drive East
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1569
Ph: (310) 794-6685 (lab)/825-0024(office); Fax: (310) 267-4672