siRNA transfection of primary neurons

DanSolo via methods%40net.bio.net (by daniel.otoole At ucd.ie)
Mon Nov 27 06:56:16 EST 2006

StewJW wrote:
> Here are some references from Invitrogen cell line database:
> Source: Nucleic Acids Res 2001 May15;29(10):2052-8
> Comments: SK-N-SH cells plated on glass coverslips were transfected
> with different...
> Scientific Application(s): Transient Transfection
> Product Name and Cat No: Lipofectamine™ 2000 (11668019)
>  3. Source: Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2002 99(23)14716-14721
> Comments: SK-N-SH cells were stably transfected with Lipofectamine
> 2000.
> Scientific Application(s): Stable Cell Transfection
> Product Name and Cat No: Lipofectamine™ 2000 (11668019)

Maybe you'll have more luck with Lipofectamine 2000 than we had with
our rat primary neurons. It was indeed very good at getting siRNA into
our established human/rat astrocyte cell lines. I also wouldn't advise
you to use any reagent that is recommended for "Stable Cell
Transfection" only (although I see Lip2000 is recommeded for both), as
you can generate stable lines with very low transfection efficiency.