SDS-PAGE - Dimer formation after boiling?

Bean Long ben.long at yourfinger.anu.edu.au
Tue Oct 3 19:39:46 EST 2006

Hi all,

I seem to have a protein forming a dimer on SDS-PAGE after boiling.  I
usually pre-treat my samples to 70 °C for a few minutes prior to loading
and seem to end up with both monomers and dimers, but on boiling I seem
to get dimer formation only.  Is this common?  Any suggestions on what's
going on and how I can get monomers only??  I use DTT to reduce but have
seen the same results with mercapto.  Haven't tried omitting a reducing
agent though.

Any comments welcome.

Cheers,

--