PCR Design

Brian Ballard via methods%40net.bio.net (by NoReply from email.com)
Fri Oct 13 15:30:46 EST 2006

> Only rarely can a poor primer be rescued by changing the
> annealing temperature.

I absolutely disagree with this statement. I find that changing the
annealing temperature is often the best way of 'rescuing a "poor"
primer'. I frequently use the Biometra T-Gradient block for finding the
optimal Tm of a primer pair; especially when I am forced to design
'poor' primers due to the nature of the experiment. You'd be amazed at
how often the optimum temperature is nowhere near the Ta you'd predict
on theoretical grounds.

Brian