question about making phenol/TE and

Zhiqun Li li at lifesci.ucsb.edu
Thu Sep 14 19:12:57 EST 2006

Hey I have a question regarding making the phenol/TE saturated buffers.
I've heard from others that they only need to repeat the mixing of
phenol and TE for 2~4 times before the pH of the aqueous phase reaches
7.5 or higher (depends on the pH of the TE that's used). However, I've
tried to mix the TE (pH 7.7~8) with phenol for more than 10 times
(phenol around 150 ml, and TE around 100~150 ml each mix), the pH of the
aqueous phase still remains lower than 6, but more than 5. I wonder why
this happened, could it be because of the phenol is too old and
therefore hard to be equilibrated (e.g., too acidic? i checked the pH of
the bottom layer and it's between 3~4, after I found the aqueous phase
is always lower than 6).

I also tried to make phenol/water saturated buffer in the same time, the
aqueous phase is always staying below or close to 5, but not 5. I wonder
if it's okay for extracting RNA, as acidicity is needed for separating
DNA from RNA in the samples. In the mean time, the first time I added
DEPC-dH2O into phenol, they were separated as clear as phenol and
Tris-Cl do; however, after adding the second time of DEPC-dH2O with
shaking vigorously afterwards, the bottom layer started getting
foam-like looking and took forever to separate. I am very confused and
not sure if these are normal and couldn't find anywhere for helpful
suggestion.

If you can give out some tips and suggestions, that is highly
appreciated, thanks a lot!

li