small fragment of DNA PCR Product elution kit difficulty

ChenHA hzhen at freeuk.com
Sat Sep 16 18:58:33 EST 2006

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 20:41:11 -0700 (PDT), V Arunachalam
<vadivelarunachalam at yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>  I am facing problem while elutung a PCR product amplified from genomic DNA of 200 bp size fragment. The DNA recovery is low. Could anyone suggest me good kit / modification in the protocol for getting high recovery of DNA.

Try Geneclean (from Q-Biogene).  Always found it reliable, and it
gives reasonable yield, unlike Qiagen which I found to be unreliable
(sometimes good, but sometimes shitty yield especially for small
fragments).   Geneclean also has the Mermaid kit which is specifically
designed for very small fragments, but this is not necessary for
200bp.  We recently tried purifying a 150 bp PCR product and got
reasonable good yield from both the Geneclean Turbo and Mermaid kits.
You can purify directly from the PCR reaction or from agarose gel.