primer specificity/mismatches

Simone Marker via methods%40net.bio.net (by marker from rhrk.uni-kl.de)
Thu Apr 5 04:14:16 EST 2007

Hi,

does anyone have experience with primer design for specific RT reactions or
in general?
I want to find primers for a gene from a multigene family, in which the
family members are highly similar in some regions. I'm not sure about the
creteria for specificity: how many mismatches are necessary? For RT-primers
I normally avoid primers that have only mismatches in the 5' moiety. But how
many mismatches are necessay at the 3' moiety of the primer to guarantee
specificity? I tried to chose at least 3 mismatches. Is a primer ok that has
only one or two mismatches at the last 3'base(s) and no mismatch at the
residual bases of the primer?

Do I have to consider any differences between RT and PCR in general or do I
have to apply the same criteria for primer specificity? I use an RT enzyme
that is able to reverse transcribe at 50-60°C, so that I can adapt my
primers very flexible (normally I use primers with a melting temperature of
55°C and do the RT at 57°C, works well).

Thank you very mutch in advance,
Simone