How to ship? Nitrocellulose memb for Western

Sun Apr 15 14:04:22 EST 2007

Tom Anderson wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Apr 2007, AK wrote:
>
> > Hello everyone, I need to ship internationally some nitrocellulose
> > membranes for Western analysis. I plan to transfer, block with milk,
> > wash, then place in wet (with azide) plastic bag (sealed), ship with
> > regular mail.  could you guide me with any tips or advise.
>
> For starters, see if you can use PVDF instead. Many postal services take a
> dim view of attempts to send explosives by mail.

I tend to aggree. The PVDF membrane can be shipped after blotting and
drying, that is without blocking.  The recipient does not hydrate the
membrane but starts directly with detection on the dry membrane, see
Sadra et al., Anal. Biochem. 278 (2000) 235-7.