speI xbaI sublconing

Dag Rune Gjellesvik via methods%40net.bio.net (by dagrg_spamout from online.no)
Fri Dec 7 10:12:39 EST 2007

"V Arunachalam" <vadivelarunachalam from yahoo.com> skrev i melding
news:mailman.782.1196360538.23109.methods from net.bio.net...
> Hi,
> I am facing problems in cohesive subcloning a 500 bp insert from the
> double digest of SpeI and XbaI onto a vector of 13.5 Kb size at the same
> sites. Please suggest me is it correct strategy as these two enzymes
> generate similar ends though differ in recognition sites.

> http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Hello,

I understand - you cannot dephosphorylate both vector and insert, and both
may circularize since they have compatible ends. I have been in the same
situation. I suggest that if you can cut your vector with only one of the
enzymes, lets say SphI, and dephosphorylate your insert. If you do the
ligation in the presence of SphI restriction enzyme, you will prevent your
vector from circularizing. However, the XbaI end of your insert may ligate
to either end of the SphI cut vector. After a period for ligation,
inactivate the SphI enzyme by heat treatment, and add more ligase to allow
your construct to close (circularize). You may have to screen for correctly
oriented inserts, if that matters.

I hope this will work,

Dag Rune Gjellesvik