speI xbaI sublconing

Haviland, David L via methods%40net.bio.net (by David.L.Haviland from uth.tmc.edu)
Sat Dec 8 11:23:17 EST 2007

Mike:

I won't argue with you but in my limited experience with XbaI and using various vectors in HB101, XL-1 blues, Top 10F's, and SURE cells, what problems I had in ligation were never chased to XbaI methylation.   I dont' doubt what you are saying and perhaps in other bugs it would make a difference.

To me the compatible overhangs are what dogs this ligation, and I'd reach for the SAP in a heartbeat.

David

-----Original Message-----
From: methods-bounces from oat.bio.indiana.edu on behalf of Michael J. Prigge
Sent: Fri 12/7/2007 7:19 PM
To: methods from magpie.bio.indiana.edu
Subject: speI xbaI sublconing

You didn't mention any problems with the digestion, but I thought I
would throw in this reminder, just in case.  XbaI is susceptible to
dam methylation, so TCTAGAtc and gaTCTAGA will not be cut.  If this
isn't the problem, I would try Tom's options, possibly screening
colonies by PCR with an insert primer and a vector primer for the
correct orientation.
Good Luck,
Mike