microbial prevention

Tom Anderson via methods%40net.bio.net (by ucgatan At ucl.ac.uk)
Mon Feb 5 14:39:30 EST 2007

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 minici.claudia At hsr.it wrote:

> Almost all laboratories have an incubator with water on the bottom. I am
> wondering what chemicals are better suited to prevent growth of
> bacteria, yeast, fungi, etc in it without damaging cells. Thanks!

The traditional answer is copper sulphate, but i understand there are
problems with this - corrosion, i think. We currently use something called
Aqua-Clear from Bel-Art Scienceware:

http://service.belart.com/cat/170930000.html

I think we get it through Fisher. There are probably hojillions of
equivalent products on the market.

tom

--
Tom Anderson, MRC Laboratory for Molecular Cell Biology, UCL, London WC1E 6BT
(t) +44 (20) 76797264   (f) +44 (20) 76797805   (e) thomas.anderson At ucl.ac.uk