microbial prevention

Sandra Graham via methods%40net.bio.net (by Sandra.Graham from UTSouthwestern.edu)
Wed Feb 14 12:32:51 EST 2007

I  have never had a problem with bacteria or yeast growing in an incubator.  I do use distilled water which also prevents build up of salts on the incubator.  If you have build up of salts, you can get them off with dlute acetic acid or vinegar and heat to about 45 or 50C

Sandy

Sandra Graham, Ph.D.
Department of Pediatrics
Pulmonary Vascular Biology
U. T. Southwestern Medical Center
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Dallas TX 75390-9063
214-893-0366 (c)
minici.claudia from hsr.it wrote:
> Almost all laboratories have an incubator with water on the bottom. I
> am wondering what chemicals are better suited to prevent growth of
> bacteria, yeast, fungi, etc in it without damaging cells. Thanks!
>
> Claudia

I've heard of people using EDTA to achieve this.  It can apparently
promote corrosion though.  Perhaps worth a try?

--
Bean
Remove "yourfinger" before replying