Simple question that is hard to answer

Duncan Clark via methods%40net.bio.net (by blackhole from abuse.plus.com)
Fri Feb 16 11:34:15 EST 2007

Historians believe that in newspost
<a59bt2dap5kc69sqqjd0cd00f9p01pv0gl from 4ax.com> on Fri, 16 Feb 2007, ChenHA
<hzhen from freeuk.com> penned the following literary masterpiece:
>The Duet series are plasmids with
>different replicons, so are different as far as the original question
>is concerned.  The question would be one about plasmids with the same
>replicon, and that is problematic.  If there are different antibiotics
>used, then it may be possible to maintain the plasmids, but do
>remember that antibiotics like ampicillin are broken down fairly
>quickly, and when the antibiotics are gone, there is in fact no
>selection, and one of the plasmids will most probably be lost.

I was always curious about the replicons used in some clinical E.coli's
that carry umpteen different plasmids. I remember many many years ago
that one such E.coli was used for plasmid markers and had may 10
different plasmids in it. They didn't appear to lose those plasmids
despite no selection. May have been published in "Plasmid" back in the
late 70's or early 80's.

Duncan
they go flying by.

Duncan Clark