Simple question that is hard to answer

peter via methods%40net.bio.net (by peter.ianakiev from gmail.com)
Fri Feb 16 12:57:34 EST 2007

On Feb 16, 11:34 am, Duncan Clark <blackh... from abuse.plus.com> wrote:
> Historians believe that in newspost
> <a59bt2dap5kc69sqqjd0cd00f9p01pv... from 4ax.com> on Fri, 16 Feb 2007, ChenHA
> <h... from freeuk.com> penned the following literary masterpiece:
>
> >The Duet series are plasmids with
> >different replicons, so are different as far as the original question
> >is concerned.  The question would be one about plasmids with the same
> >replicon, and that is problematic.  If there are different antibiotics
> >used, then it may be possible to maintain the plasmids, but do
> >remember that antibiotics like ampicillin are broken down fairly
> >quickly, and when the antibiotics are gone, there is in fact no
> >selection, and one of the plasmids will most probably be lost.
>
> I was always curious about the replicons used in some clinical E.coli's
> that carry umpteen different plasmids. I remember many many years ago
> that one such E.coli was used for plasmid markers and had may 10
> different plasmids in it. They didn't appear to lose those plasmids
> despite no selection. May have been published in "Plasmid" back in the
> late 70's or early 80's.
>
> Duncan
> --
> I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing noise they make as
> they go flying by.
>
> Duncan Clark
> GeneSys Ltd.

Duncan,
Your input is always appreciated, just my question was different and I
don't know how better to describe  - can one have two alleles of the
SAME Plasmid in the SAME cell, not different ori, not different
antibiotic resistances, everything is the same, just point muataion
that comes from cloning of heteroduplex DNA that has a mutation.
Peter