Simple question that is hard to answer

hzhen via methods%40net.bio.net (by hzhen from freeuk.com)
Fri Feb 16 21:50:53 EST 2007

Duncan Clark wrote:

> I was always curious about the replicons used in some clinical E.coli's
> that carry umpteen different plasmids. I remember many many years ago
> that one such E.coli was used for plasmid markers and had may 10
> different plasmids in it. They didn't appear to lose those plasmids
> despite no selection. May have been published in "Plasmid" back in the
> late 70's or early 80's.

It all depends on the replication control mechanism of the replicons I
suppose.  ColE1 replicon is the standard one taught to students and I
haven't really look into others, so I'm speaking in complete ignorance
here, but there is no reason why a plasmid with different replicon would
necessary result in plasmid incompatibility (because ColE1 has an
unusual replication control mechanism?), although I understand that many
would.