Simple question that is hard to answer

Peter Ellis via methods%40net.bio.net (by pjie2 from cam.ac.uk)
Sat Feb 17 03:28:08 EST 2007

hzhen wrote:
> Peter Ellis wrote:
>

>> It would seem unlikely.  Even assuming the heteroduplex molecule got
>> cloned in the first place, my suspicion is that the first time it
>> gets replicated, the mismatch would be "corrected"
>
> I'm not really sure about this, do you think it will happen to any
> great extent with our normal cloning strains?

I can't see why not.  Cloning strains aren't (to my knowledge) deficient in
any of the normal DNA repair mechanisms.  If they were, you couldn't rely on
the integrity of the sequence of whatever you clone into them!

Peter