Pipetting, contamination....

Tom Anderson via methods%40net.bio.net (by ucgatan from ucl.ac.uk)
Mon Feb 19 15:37:56 EST 2007

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007, Gaelle ayyildiz wrote:

> would u please tell me how i can pipette my regents without
> contaminating them with the micropipette (i.e. Gilson pipette)?

Filter tips are an easy and effective way to avoid contamination, but
normal good pipetting practice shouldn't result in a great deal of
contamination. Obviously, you should avoid the muzzle of the pipette
coming into contact with the liquid in the tip, by not pipetting volumes
too close to the capacity of the tip. You should also avoid forming
aerosols, by pipetting gently: draw the liquid up slowly (not glacially,
but no so fast it jumps about, particularly with P1000s), and bring it
smoothly to a stop at the top, rather than running straight into the stop.
Other than that, i'm not sure - you could drop Gilson an email and ask
them for some tips (as in advice, not plastic things!).

tom

--
Tom Anderson, MRC Laboratory for Molecular Cell Biology, UCL, London WC1E 6BT
(t) +44 (20) 76797264   (f) +44 (20) 76797805   (e) thomas.anderson from ucl.ac.uk