Total nucleic acid extractions

Jeremy Coate via methods%40net.bio.net (by jec73 from cornell.edu)
Wed Feb 21 07:06:31 EST 2007

 Hello everyone,

I would like to isolate RNA and DNA from the same tissue sample (soybean
leaves), and wonder if anyone has a recommended protocol. I have used Trizol
with moderate success, but had trouble getting the DNA fraction to
resuspend. I would like to preserve the ratio of RNA to DNA that is present
in the tissue, so difficulties resuspending the pellets are a concern. The
Qiagen AllPrep DNA/RNA mini kit sounds promising (no organic solvents, and
no need to resuspend pellets) but I don't know if it works for plant
material. Has anyone tried this kit with leaves? Or do you have any other
suggestions?  Thanks!

Jeremy