Total nucleic acid extractions

Jose de las Heras via methods%40net.bio.net (by josenet from tiscali.co.uk)
Wed Feb 21 18:22:08 EST 2007

"Jeremy Coate" <jec73 from cornell.edu> wrote in message
news:mailman.42.1172067254.5139.methods from net.bio.net...
> Hello everyone,
>
> I would like to isolate RNA and DNA from the same tissue sample (soybean
> leaves), and wonder if anyone has a recommended protocol. I have used
> Trizol
> with moderate success, but had trouble getting the DNA fraction to
> resuspend. I would like to preserve the ratio of RNA to DNA that is
> present
> in the tissue, so difficulties resuspending the pellets are a concern. The
> Qiagen AllPrep DNA/RNA mini kit sounds promising (no organic solvents, and
> no need to resuspend pellets) but I don't know if it works for plant
> material. Has anyone tried this kit with leaves? Or do you have any other
> suggestions?  Thanks!
>
> Jeremy

I also had trouble with Trizol. I ended up dividing my sample in three, one
for protein (your usual protocol), another for DNA (your usual protocol),
and Trizol for RNA. I guess not great if the amount of sample is a limiting
factor...

Jose