Pipetting, contamination....

Tom Anderson via methods%40net.bio.net (by ucgatan from ucl.ac.uk)
Thu Feb 22 11:47:58 EST 2007

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007, Jose de las Heras wrote:

> "Tom Anderson" <ucgatan from ucl.ac.uk> wrote in message
> news:mailman.5.1171950975.5139.methods from net.bio.net...
> > On Fri, 16 Feb 2007, Gaelle ayyildiz wrote:
> >
> >> would u please tell me how i can pipette my regents without
> >> contaminating them with the micropipette (i.e. Gilson pipette)?
> >
> > Filter tips are an easy and effective way to avoid contamination, but
> > normal good pipetting practice shouldn't result in a great deal of
> > contamination.
> However, spending many hours working in the radiation room illustrates
> how easy it is to get your pipettes contaminated. No matter how careful
> you are, aerosols are formed at some point. That's why we ended up using
> filter tips as standard for any radioactive work. When your solution is
> not radioactive it's just not so easy to detect, but even the most
> careful researcher's pipettes get contaminated if they don't use filter
> tips.

Quite true - if you're doing something really sensitive, like
radioactivity, qPCR, or RNA work, then filter tips are a must. Also for
biohazards - i always use filter tips when i'm doing virus work, and in
some labs i've worked in, filter tips were standard for all tissue

Tom Anderson, MRC Laboratory for Molecular Cell Biology, UCL, London WC1E 6BT
(t) +44 (20) 76797264   (f) +44 (20) 76797805   (e) thomas.anderson from ucl.ac.uk