Pipetting, contamination....

Christian Praetorius via methods%40net.bio.net (by prae from gmx.net)
Fri Feb 23 05:11:08 EST 2007

dk from no.email.thankstospam.net (DK) wrote:

>Everyone I know who does "microbiology" outside of sterile hood
>is engaged in the practice of flaming necks of every bottle and
>flask they use. When asked why they are doing it, the only answer
>ever given is "to keep it sterile". Problem is, for as far as I can tell,
>the way it is done, it's a completely useless exercise in at least
>9 out of 10 times.

Thats also my experience. In many cases the turbulences caused by the
flame disturbe the air and can cause contamination. A former colleague
of mine is is microbiologist, and they tested how long standard glas
pipettes stay sterile in the standard laboratory athmosphere. They
opened the autoclaved container, and it took them minimum two weeks
before this pipettes couldn't used any more because they were not
sterile any more.

Christian