cells in culture

Tom Anderson via methods%40net.bio.net (by ucgatan At ucl.ac.uk)
Thu Jan 25 11:55:20 EST 2007

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007, Pow Joshi wrote:

> this is sheer desperation: I was wondering if anyone would have any idea
> why some cells (in this case HEK) are having problems attaching to the
> culture plate, and then die a sad horrible death.... all possible
> explanations are welcome including: "Pow, you've lost your touch at
> Tissue culture, even if you've been doing it for half your life". Thanks
> a bunch

As has been pointed out, HEKs can be a bit recalcitrant when it comes to
sticking down. The normal problems would be too low a temperature, too old
a culture, a dodgy batch of medium, a dodgy batch of dishes, or maybe
mycoplasma - the usual suspects for any TC problem!

tom

--
Tom Anderson, MRC Laboratory for Molecular Cell Biology, UCL, London WC1E 6BT
(t) +44 (20) 76797264   (f) +44 (20) 76797805   (e) thomas.anderson At ucl.ac.uk