Question about pBR322 and pUC

Tim Fitzwater via methods%40net.bio.net (by tfitzwater from somalogic.com)
Tue Jul 10 09:43:24 EST 2007

"The mutation in the ori
is also a contributing factor in this higher copy number.  I would like
to know what the expected copy number would be of pBR322 WITHOUT the rop
but with no mutation in the ori?  I would expect that it would be much
greater than pBR322 but less than pUC18.  How much of a role does the
mutation in ori play? "

The copy number of pBR322 plus rop is ~ 10 - 25 copies/cell.
The copy number of pBR322 minus rop is ~ 45 - 60 copies/cell.
The copy number of pUC plus rop is ~ 10 - 25 copies/cell.
The copy number of pUC minus rop is ~ 500 -700 copies/cell.

Tim Fitzwater