Merlin maxiprep help?

Adie via methods%40net.bio.net (by silvergrin from gmail.com)
Tue Jul 17 12:59:22 EST 2007

Hello!  My sincerest apologies if you get this twice; I could really
use some help here and I didn't see my first email show up...

I found this list by looking for Merlin Maxiprep protocol
info.  It was posted a *long* time ago (1994) but you can still find
the protocol here:
http://www.bio.net/bionet/mm/methods/1994-April/013440.html

I've been put in charge of making the Merlin solutions.  When we first
started using the assay, a couple different people had made them.
Everything worked pretty well.  We ran low on Merlin I, II, and IV, so
I made up a more recently, and, horrors, the prep stopped working.  D:
 The problem is that DNA is not precipitating during the spin-down
after adding isopropanol to the filtered lysate.
I think the problem must lie with either buffer I or buffer II; we are
still using the old stock of buffer III, from when the assay was
working.

I've already compared notes with the person who made up buffer I the
first time (seems to be the same), re-made buffer I in case I got
something horribly screwed up, and also tried a new solution of buffer
II.  Still no crude DNA pellet at the end of the spin.  Does anyone
know what the problem could be?

Thanks so much!