Bacterial Identification: Fatty Acid, 16S or Biolog?

Brian via methods%40net.bio.net (by olsonbri from gmail.com)
Mon Jul 23 20:54:46 EST 2007

First, this group has provided me a wealth of info over the last 10
years or so... so now I post a question.

In terms of getting the most accurate identification of a bacterium at
species level (medical, plant associated, environmental, etc.... in
general) which system provides the best resolution:  Fatty acid
analysis, 16S rDNA sequence analysis (assume full seq.), or Biolog?  I
want your opinions... let's remove cost of analysis from the
equation.  I have my own opinion... but is it a bias??

Thank you for your contributions!

Stirring the fire --Brian