Strong contamination with ethidium bromide

Tom Anderson via methods%40net.bio.net (by ucgatan from ucl.ac.uk)
Tue Jun 5 06:06:13 EST 2007

On Mon, 4 Jun 2007, Undergrad wrote:

> Since 3 weeks I am using Ethidium bromide without taking much more care
> of it.  Everyday I used it and I notice that few drops of the stock
> solution were throw on my finger each time I opened the tube. I never
> washed afterwards. I estimated that I have done it at least 10 times. I
> just read how toxic is ethidium bromide and now I am very scared about
> had contaminated myself. Some people says that ethidium bromide fear is
> paranoia but if not what should I do? Book a place in a graveyard ?

Amputate.

After that, just make sure you wear gloves when you're doing experimental
work. And probably don't consider going on to a PhD!

tom

--
Tom Anderson, MRC Laboratory for Molecular Cell Biology, UCL, London WC1E 6BT
(t) +44 (20) 76797264   (f) +44 (20) 76797805   (e) thomas.anderson from ucl.ac.uk