Strong contamination with ethidium bromide

Pow Joshi via methods%40net.bio.net (by pow.joshi from gmail.com)
Tue Jun 5 08:46:40 EST 2007

On 6/4/07, Undergrad <sylvain.bauer from laposte.net> wrote:

> Since 3 weeks I am using Ethidium bromide without taking much more care of
> it.  Everyday I used it and I notice that few drops of the stock solution
> were throw on my finger each time I opened the tube. I never washed
> afterwards. I estimated that I have done it at least 10 times. I just read
> how toxic is ethidium bromide and now I am very scared about had
> contaminated myself. Some people says that ethidium bromide fear is
> paranoia
> but if not what should I do? Book a place in a graveyard ?

Boy, Oh Boy!!!!!  that is like making friends with the devil ...nah, you
don't wish to end up like Dr. Faustus .... Please, oh please please use
gloves, the nitrile ones that fit you well...and don't mess around with EtBr
...... for the few drops, I suppose there's nothing you can do now ...so the
best way is the forget it ...probably, for a feel-good cut down on all the
goodies that you've been on, all the ummm so rich cakes and chips and
whatever else, and eat some vegetables of all colours that are high in
anti-oxidants :)))
just so that you know
: EtBr intercalates with the DNA, and is a potential carcinogen and
teratogen ....
Should you get it on your hands, wash it off with a detergent....

best,
pow