RE to Jim 3975 - Strong contamination with ethidium bromide

Bas Jansen via methods%40net.bio.net (by bjhj from nospam.nl)
Fri Jun 8 15:20:38 EST 2007

In article <1181318252.993588.241960 from p47g2000hsd.googlegroups.com>,
 peter <peter.ianakiev from gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jun 8, 6:15 am, "Prof. Piero Sestili" <sest... from uniurb.it> wrote:
> > Dear Jim 3975,
> >
> > of course, and as anybody in this field knows, you're right: my story
> > was simply to tranquillize this poor undergraduate student...I think
> > that your intervention got the opposite result!  Another very relevant
> > aspect of this specific case (mine and undergraduate's one) is that we
> > are speaking of a SINGLE exposure, far less effective in terms of
> > carcinogenicity as compared to CHRONIC exposure.
> > By the way, if there's anybody who stained his hands with EB more than
> > 16 years ago, please come on and tell us your story!
> >
> > Prof. Piero Sestili
> > Istituto di Farmacologia e Farmacognosia e
> > Centro di Ricerca sull'Attività Motoria
> > Università degli Studi di Urbino "Carlo Bo"
> > Via "I Maggetti" 26
> > 61029 URBINO (PU)
> > Tel. 0722 303414; 0722 305524
> > Fax 0722 303401

I used to have a supervisor who handled agarose gels containing EtBr
with his bare hands. More than 16 years ago. He used to say that indeed
the danger of EtBr is way overrrated: as with propidium iodide (which is
used to stain leaky DEAD cells), you actually need to actively open up
the cell membrane to get it into the cell. I have no other reference
with regard to EtBr to back this up, but his reasoning made a lot of
sense to me.
I use gloves, just because my institute requires it when handling this
type of chemicals.

Bas