RE to Jim 3975 - Strong contamination with ethidium bromide

Jim 3975 via methods%40net.bio.net (by jim3975 from nospamTRTnet.nl)
Sat Jun 9 04:46:06 EST 2007

Hi Piero,
Well I have been working with EBr in a rather sloppy way (some of my
colleagues would use stronger terms) since like thirty years. 'Finger
cancer' (as someone else in this thread called it) is  not among the
problems I currently have, nor of any of my lab colleagues. (I must say I
took care never to ingest any, I mean washing my hands before eating etc. )

My reference to the PNAS paper was as sloppy as my way of working with EBr.
The paper mentions Ebr, but not cigarette smoke. That must have been  a
different paper, I can't find it right now.
Even if carcinogenity would be similar, it would be odd - just as you are
correctly pointing out - to panick about having smoked  say, 50 cigarettes
_only one time_.

BTW, it is funny that there do not seem to be reports of studies of the
effect of EtBr on animals. After all, strong mutagens can be helpful in
cancer studies.
cheers,
Jim

news:mailman.1419.1181314246.5139.methods from net.bio.net...