RE to Jim 3975 - Strong contamination with ethidium bromide

Mon Jun 11 11:42:33 EST 2007

Acrylamide.  I remember at least one case of a faculty who developed
paralysis of his lower limbs which was linked to acrylamide poisoning.
I knew this person sort of during my studies in India.  He was a junior
level faculty in the 80s in Kerala University, in the state of kerala,
India and was routinely handling acrylamide and gels with his bare hands
and demonstrated SDS-PAGE to students.  After about 10-15 years,
sometime during 1994-1996, he developed paralysis (irreversible) below
his waist.  This case was well publisized in newspapers in southern
India (my mother got really worried reading that :-)), because the
doctors (I don't rememeber exactly, but I believe in his spinal cord),
discovered the presence of methylated cytosines and attributed it to
acrylamide acute poisoning.
   Polymerized acrylamide may not be dangerous but not the unpolymerized
monomers still stuck on the surface.  Why take the risk, when a simple
gloves and some practices like that can safeguard you.  Or you may
become a guinea pig for future people to study.
  Jay