Ghost band (was Re: How to get a single stranded DNA as long as 2-3kb?)

Jose de las Heras via methods%40net.bio.net (by josenet from tiscali.co.uk)
Wed Jun 13 15:08:32 EST 2007

"DK" <dk from no.email.thankstospam.net> wrote in message
news:d0Sbi.9$nx3.3 from newsfe03.lga...
> In article <1181736759.513929.311930 from n15g2000prd.googlegroups.com>, peter
> <peter.ianakiev from gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>Guys, I think we lost focus again, lets refrain what was the original
>>question - someone want to produce 2-3 kb ssDNA  out of a 3 kb clone
>>in a plasmid. If we can add something to that - great,  if not - lets
>>close this topic and move on. There is no argument how many great
>>discoveries were made in the past,  and the fact that they represent
>>probably less than 0.1% of all the papers published. It would be
>>interesting if someone spend time and effort to see how many of the
>>papers in the 70s, 80s and 90s stand up to the 2007 standards, how
>>many were miss-readings of the facts (honest) , and how many were made-
>>up science.
>
> I'd contend that the % of BS published today is considerably
> higher than in the 1970s.
>
> DK

I have the same feeling too... the emphasis nowadays seems to be stronger on
the "publishing" rather than on "telling a story".

Anyway, my last contribution to this thread...

regarding that type V DNA, it's not "type V" but "form V"... it's easy
enough to come up with papers (some recent enough) that deal with this. I
haven't found the one I was mentioning, but I suggest looking into:

J Mol Biol 193:201-11 (1987) "Sequences that adopt non-B-DNA conformation in
form V DNA as probed by enzymic methylation"
and
NAR 18:267-275 (1990) "Probing of unusual DNA structures in topologically
constrained form V DNA: use of restriction enzymes as structural probe"

while those papers are not that great, they contain good references, going
back to work of Stettler and Weissmann (they were looking at replication of
viruses and plasmids)... Weissmann is a pretty heavy weight (I'm pretty sure
he published something with Severo Ochoa in the 60s)... (and some other guy,
Bremmerman or something like that, I think).

Molecular biology these days may seem more important as we deal with veyr
specific details and by comparison it seems that teh stuff in teh 70s and
80s was lame... but on teh day it was groundbreaking and they were just
paving the way for the science we do today.

Adrian Bird's initial work in DNA methylation simply came about from work on
characterisation of restriction enzymes, and the realisation that some were
being blocked by methylation... and that once they had isoschizomers, one
sensitive and one insensitive, they could probe genomic sequences for
methylation...
The initial stuff seems pretty unexciting today... but back then it was
new... look where it's leading to.

I'm off this thread now, and good day to you all :-)

Jose