RE to Jim 3975 - Strong contamination with ethidium bromide

Dr Engelbert Buxbaum via (by engelbert_buxbaum from
Thu Jun 14 10:38:54 EST 2007

Am 08.06.2007, 21:37 Uhr, schrieb DK <dk from>:

>> just wear gloves when handle acrilamide , DMSO, PMSF etc.
> What's wrong with DMSO? Sure, it goes through the skin easily
> and all that but on its own it is pretty harmless. The danger is
> there only when handling toxins dissolved in DMSO, I think.

IIRC DMSO is actually used in ointments for sports injuries. Although it
results in a really bad taste once it penetrates your skin. Was there not
once a mass hysteria amongst health care workers when a patient breathed
out DMSO and everybody thought they would die?

What one should avoid though is dissolving toxic chemicals like PMSF in
DMSO, propanol is the safer alternative.