soc abbreviation

ChenHA via methods%40net.bio.net (by hzhen from freeuk.com)
Fri Jun 29 08:01:39 EST 2007

Aawara Chowdhury wrote:
> In <1183091644.27862.0 from damia.uk.clara.net>,
>  ChenHA <hzhen from freeuk.com> wrote:
>
>> Ricardo wrote:
>>> Hi, does any one know what the S.O.C (from soc medium)
>>> characters stand for???
>>>
>> No one knows apart from the author of the paper, and he didn't bother to
>> say what it is.  From what I heard (I think originally from those worked
>> with him), SOB is exactly what you expect it to stand for, and SOC is
>> just the next one along.
>>

> This is from Doug Hanahan - the author of "J. Mol. Biol. 166(4): 557-580",
> where SOB was first described.
>
> SOB = super-optimal broth
> SOC = SOB with the B changed to C for "catabolite repression", indicative
>       of the presence of glucose.

Thanks, that's interesting.  I remember reading the original paper and
didn't come across the explanation of the SOB/SOC (I thought it was
earlier than that and the author wasn't Hanahan, but I could have been
completely mistaken, I read it a long time ago.)

As for the bit about the SOB, I think it was from a former colleague of
the original author who claimed he was a bit of SOB, making a joke of it.