method for cleaning plant DNA

Olga Kopp via methods%40net.bio.net (by KOPPOL from uvsc.edu)
Fri Mar 2 11:05:23 EST 2007

Does anybody know about an efficient method to clean and/or isolate DNA
from plants that is pure enough to use for AFLP analysis. We have 2
species of plants (Astragalus) and we isolated DNA from both. One
species' DNA worked for the AFLP, the other one didn't. I used the CTAB
method by Soltis (precipitation has been done with isopropanol). I have
also used Qiagen (plant) and that didn't work neither.
I suspect there is too much junk (polysaccharides perhaps) in the DNA
that it is not cutting and amplifying in the AFLP.

We only have a little amount of plant material. The plant material was
harvested in the field and put immediately inside Drierite (this method
works for all our other experiments).
I will really appreciate any input.

Olga

Olga Ruiz Kopp, Ph.D.