[western blotting] SynGene GeneGnome system vs G-BOX

Amanda Beardsley via methods%40net.bio.net (by amanda.beardsley from gmail.com)
Mon Mar 5 17:32:50 EST 2007

Hello,

This isn't about chemilumminescence, but I just wanted to add that I have
previously used the Odyssey machine for Westerns and had great success. Yes
you do have to purchase the IR dyes, but there is no ECL reagents to deal
with, and the IR dyes are quite stable. I've rescanned Westerns a few weeks
later and still got the same results (although the company say that if
stored properly they are stable for over a year- I didn't get to try that).
I like the fact that I didn't have to view the blot right away before the
signal dies down (like with chemiluminescence), and the laser intensity can
be adjusted to suit the antibody. In dealings with tech support, I also
found them to be helpful.

Regards,

Amanda :)