PCR from blood clot

Han via methods%40net.bio.net (by nobody from nospam.not)
Thu Mar 8 06:31:17 EST 2007

"Pow Joshi" <pow.joshi from gmail.com> wrote in
news:mailman.260.1173333498.5139.methods from net.bio.net:

> On 3/7/07, Manuel Fernando Ariza Botero <mfarizab from unal.edu.co> wrote:
>> Has anybody done PCR from a mammal blood clot. Is there a chance to
>> recover white cells as DNA source from that mess?
>> answers most welcome!!
>
> just a shot in the dark, but could you use a combination of strong
> chaotropic agents/detergents +proteases ....... and then extract the
> DNA from the mess.... the caveat is that you will extract all DNA
> there is, not just WBC ....
>
> ... another thought was if one could use "blood thinning agents" ...(
> no not anti coagulants, but ones that dissolve the clots like say
> warfarin?) ....
>
> am being purely speculative ...and hope it triggers some ideas
>
> best
> pow
Warfarin is a vitamin K antagonist.  It will after a few days treatment of
the patient reduce the effectiveness of clotting factors, thereby reducing
the propensity for in vivo and ex vivo clotting.

Clot busters set im motion cascades of proteolytic enzymes that break down
clots (fibrin).  Work best with time and at 37C.

I would think that the commercial special formulations for isolating DNA
from small blood samples would work best, although collecting the blood
expertly and into a good anticoagulant would be preferable.

--
Best regards
Han