[Western Blotting] Diffusion of Antibodies in PVDF and NZ membranes

Fri Mar 16 06:50:41 EST 2007

Dear experts,

When I incubate two or more membranes with an antibody solution (eg O/
N at 4degC with gentle agitation) and the membranes stick together, in
worst case face to face, will the antibodies still reach their target
proteins and stick there?

In my imagination, the membrane actually has big holes (0.2
micrometers, that's the same one can use for sterile filtration of
antibody solution) that should allow the antibodies to go everywhere,
if there is just enough time for diffusion.

Right or wrong? How much time should one allow to be on the safe side?

What's your suggestion / idea / comment?

Wo