DNA-dependent activity of RT?

Simone Marker via methods%40net.bio.net (by marker from rhrk.uni-kl.de)
Tue Mar 20 05:10:48 EST 2007

Hi,

does anyone know if reverse transcriptases normally used for RT-PCR have a
DNA-dependent DNA-Polymerase activity beside the RNA-dependent
DNA-synthesis? I use MMulV H- from finnzymes or cMaster from Eppendorf. My
RNA samples are acceptable free of genomic DNA (according to the noRT
control template) but nevertheless I wondered if my RT-PCR products really
originate from only reverse transcribed RNA and not from residual small
amounts of "RT-amplified" genomic DNA...
I know that there is a DNA-dependent RT activity in the reverse
transcriptases of some viruses, but I don't know if I have to take that into
consideration with commercial RT.

I appreciate every comment.
Thank you