Diffusion of Antibodies in PVDF and NZ membranes

Kyle Legate via methods%40net.bio.net (by legatek from hotmail.com)
Thu Mar 22 14:06:16 EST 2007

WS wrote:

> I'd recommend changing (i.e. normally increasing) the salt
> concentration in the buffers. Adding ethanol or methanol to the buffer
> (as you probably do it during the electroblot) also might help, but it
> could denature your antibodies and / or kill your detection system. It
> must be a pain to find out (how does one do that???) that your
> favorite protein does not like the standard conditions.

I'd use a dot blot approach to screen conditions. I never thought of
that, silly me. I have a homemade antibody that gives a single strong
cross-reactive band in brain lysate and a lot of minor background
binders in cell lysate. Maybe I'll try the above approach this weekend
to try to improve the specificity. I was resigned to the probability
that I'd have to try and raise it again in a new rabbit--maybe I won't
have to.