Gas permeability of silicone oil?

Tom Anderson via methods%40net.bio.net (by ucgatan from ucl.ac.uk)
Fri Mar 30 09:03:43 EST 2007

Hi,

Does anyone have any idea how permeable silicone oils are to gases? Oxygen
and carbon dioxide are the ones i'm interested in, really; water, too.

I use a silicone oil to reduce evaporation from dishes i'm looking at on
our inverted scope; my experiments are generally less than an hour long,
so gas exchange isn't a huge deal, but a colleague wants to do some much
longer experiments, and we're not sure if the oil i use is suitable.

My particular oil is a poly(dimethylsiloxane); it's the Dow Corning '200'
type, via Sigma, of 10 centistokes viscosity. I have absolutely no idea
what the degree of the polymer is.

Thanks,
tom

--
Tom Anderson, MRC Laboratory for Molecular Cell Biology, UCL, London WC1E 6BT
(t) +44 (20) 76797264   (f) +44 (20) 76797805   (e) thomas.anderson from ucl.ac.uk