Laboratory K-12 colonizing our guts?

Trond Erik Vee Aune via methods%40net.bio.net (by trondaun from nt.ntnu.no)
Thu May 3 04:01:31 EST 2007

Dear all,

Yesterday we started discussing the possibility of our recombinant
E.coli K-12 establishing themselves in our guts. I know there were some
controversy around this in the 70's, but I haven't been able to find out
what the conclusions were. Here are some specific questions:

* Can our modern laboratory K-12 acutally establish themselves in our
guts, competing with our natural flora?
* What if after an antibiotics cure when the natural flora is greatly
reduced?
* Can expression of recombinant proteins from such bacteria cause
problems with human health)

I would especially like any references to articles that handle these
questions.

Best regards,
Trond Erik

--
Trond Erik Vee Aune
Department of Biotechnology, NTNU

- Must be sad being a dyslectic, agnostic insomniac, lying
   awake during the night, wondering if there really is a dog