Problem with Polyacrylamide gel

Bean Long via methods%40net.bio.net (by ben.long from yourfinger.anu.edu.au)
Mon May 14 18:44:27 EST 2007

StewJW wrote:
> Making SDS-PAGE gels is not a difficult problem, its a tedious one
> which is prone to errors, and yes thanks I spent more time than I care
> to remember making my own gels and so I can appreciate this problem.
> Making SDS-PAGE gels particularly gradient gels is time wasting, and
> if there is a good product out there which can help people move there
> research forward so much the better. DK I can appreciate where your
> coming from about understanding your techniques but your average life
> science researcher really has better things to do rather than
> mastering the chemistry behind gel polymerisation.

Another 2 cents...

I agree Stew.  I have to admit I know many great scientists who don't
actually understand the basics of how certain pieces of equipment work
or how to do a particular experiment, but they ask the right questions
and provide the right interpretations.  These people are the ones
running large lab groups and looking to the frontiers of science.  I
truly understand your position too DK since, as much as I admire such
great scientists their lack of understanding of some basics really sh!ts
me to tears!!  As I see it, we have two choices as scientists. 1
Understand everything we do and get little done or, 2. Understand what
we need in order to get done what needs to be done!

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying