5x met/cys media

Wed May 16 07:54:12 EST 2007

Am 10.05.2007, 16:18 Uhr, schrieb Lisa Imboden <limbode from emory.edu>:

> I can't figure out the best way to make media containinng 5X met/cys.
> I've read that met and cys are both susceptible to oxidation and
> therefore need to be made in degassed water.

Dissolve the amino acids at, say, 100 x the required concentration in
water and sterile-filter. Note that you may need a counter ion (acid or
base) to get them into solution. The sterile stock solution can then be
added to the medium, like you do with other additives. Degassing the water
is easy. Distilled water is, of course, ipse facto also degassed. Water
purified by ion exchange or reverse osmosis is sonicated a couple of
minutes or stirred while conected to a vacuum pump.