Acid Phenol/chloroform

Nick Theodorakis via methods%40net.bio.net (by nick_theodorakis from hotmail.com)
Wed Nov 7 13:12:49 EST 2007

On Nov 6, 3:10 pm, Ed Siefker <ebs15... from creighton.edu> wrote:
> I got a kit from Ambion to do some RACE, this kit requires acid
> phenol/chloroform but doesn't tell me what the composition of this is.
> I called Ambion and they didn't know.  I couldn't find a recipe in
> Maniatis either.
>
> I have a brand new bottle of phenol ph 6.7. What do I need to add to
> make "acid phenol/chloroform"?

Water-saturated phenol is "acid phenol (phenol has a weakly ionizable
hydrogen)." What you have is likely buffered.

Start with solid phenol crystals, and saturate it with good water (you
might need to do it a couple of times). Standard safety disclaimers
apply (wear gloves and eye and body protection, etc.).

Nick

--
Nick Theodorakis
nick_theodorakis from hotmail.com