why EDTA is used for lysozyme action

Nick Theodorakis via methods%40net.bio.net (by nick_theodorakis from hotmail.com)
Wed Nov 7 13:22:38 EST 2007

On Nov 1, 8:42 am, "Sudheendra Rao N R" <sudhe... from gmail.com> wrote:
> I doubt whether it has to do with the cell wall..probably
> lipoppolysaccharide and protein outermembrane is succeptible to EDTA
> disruption, than the peptidoglycan layer of gram positive bacteria.
>
> Correct me.

That's pretty close. The substrate for lysozyme is peptidoglycan,
which is the major component of the cell wall in gram-positive
bacteria. Gram negs also have a (thin) peptidoglycan layer, but it is
surrounded by an outer membrane that has LPS in it. Without additional
treatment, this outer membrane protects gram neg bacteria from
lysozyme. EDTA can disrupt this layer and allow lysozyme to have
access to the peptidoglycan.

Nick

--
Nick Theodorakis