96-well plate DNA extraction kits

Caroline Thompson via methods%40net.bio.net (by C.Thompson from MARLAB.AC.UK)
Sun Nov 11 08:48:20 EST 2007

Hi Guys,

I am usually loathe to resort to commercial kit methods for DNA
extraction, but working with moulluscs and local

prohibitions on phenol/chloroform, it's maybe time to start.

So far I have been using Qiagen spin column kits very successfully, but
I need to move to a 96-well plate format.

Are there any 96-well plate extraction kits available that can be spun
in Sigma 2-16K or 3K15 centrifuges with 11123 / 11223

rotors and 13223 buckets?

Eg Invitrogen kits can indeed be spun at the relatively slow speeds on
these centrifuges (approx 2250g) - but the brochure

suggests a plate height clearance of 5.75cm, and I have no idea where
that is measured from, the ends of the bucket,

the sides of the bucket?

Any ideas?

Caroline

Caroline Thompson

Conservation & Restoration Group

FRS Freshwater Laboratory

Faskally, Pitlochry, Perthshire PH16 5LB

direct 01224 294462

switch 01796 472060