Cleaning and Sterilizing Incubators

Han via methods%40net.bio.net (by nobody from nospam.not)
Wed Nov 14 20:14:04 EST 2007

"Tim Eggleston" <timegg113 from gmail.com> wrote in
news:mailman.606.1195065029.23109.methods from net.bio.net:

> I am looking for some new ideas with regards to cleaning cell culture
> incubators.  I have used rocal followed by a thorough wash with 70%
> ethanol in the past, but the lab I am currently working in does not
> use rocal.  Will a washing with a regular non-caustic cleaner followed
> by a wash with 70% ethanol be good enough to rid the incubator of
> fungal and bacterial contaminations?  Thanks!

Of course nothing should grow in an incubator other then what you want to
grow in dishes, flasks, or whatever.  But I never thought that the insides
of an incubator would be sterile (apart from what's inside the dishes,
flasks, etc).  The room in which the incubator stands isn't sterile, and
the air in it probably isn't either.  So why would you have to sterilize
the walls and shelves of an incubator?

--
Best regards
Han