Cleaning and Sterilizing Incubators

Thu Nov 15 09:15:01 EST 2007

Am 13.11.2007, 21:37 Uhr, schrieb Tim Eggleston <timegg113 from gmail.com>:

> I am looking for some new ideas with regards to cleaning cell culture
> incubators.  I have used rocal followed by a thorough wash with 70%
> ethanol in the past, but the lab I am currently working in does not
> use rocal.  Will a washing with a regular non-caustic cleaner followed
> by a wash with 70% ethanol be good enough to rid the incubator of
> fungal and bacterial contaminations?  Thanks!

For regular maintenance 70% EtOH should do just fine. If you get frequent
infections, or if the equipment was not in use for a long time I'd give it
a thorough wash with Virkon-S (www.antecint.co.uk/main/virkons.htm). That
stuff kills bugs without killing equipment or humans, and the smell isn't
too bad either.