handling with northern blots/membranes

biznatch11 from gmail.com via methods%40net.bio.net (by biznatch11 from gmail.com)
Tue Oct 2 12:07:01 EST 2007

I think if you allow the membrane to dry while the probe is on it you
won't be able to get the probe off anymore, I don't know the details
of why, but that's probably why the removal wasn't complete.  Don't
dry it before cross-linking, it should be moist (but not sopping
wet...I use UV crosslinking, I don't know about baking, which I assume
will dry the membrane anyways?).  I keep my membrane moist all the
time. from the time I do the transfer I store it between 2 pieces of
filter paper, wrapped in saran, at -20 or -80 depending on how long
until I'm going to use it (but I don't know if it needs to be stored
that cold).  I wouldn't re-use the hybridization solution because some
of the probe and other contents will have been used up the first time,
but maybe it will still work ok.