Jose de las Heras via (by josenet from
Tue Oct 2 13:41:23 EST 2007

There's no reason not to be courteous, I'm sorry. An enquiry posted to
a forum that serves precisely as a place to make such enquiries
shouldn't be met with such an unhelpful and downright rude response.

Whilst I agree with you that many people seem to be clueless (tell me
about it, I just got a new MSc student...), being rude is not
appropriate. It has nothing to do with political correctedness. It's
just simple manners, that's all.

When I am facing a guy who has problems figuring out how much agarose
he needs to make 50ml of a 0.8% gel (real situation, yes, some people
are that clueless, worryingly) I'd rather point them in teh right
direction and hopefully enabling them to do well. You've got to be
stern, you've got to tell them they have to put some more effort
sometimes... but there's no need to be rude.

I derive a lot more pleasure from seeing them progress and reach a
good standard, than from putting them down and showing them how much
better than them I am...
I'm glad I am not the only one feeling this way.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Carmen P Pena Diaz" <C.P.Pena-Diaz from>
To: "Jose de las Heras" <josenet from>;
<methods from>
Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2007 9:48 AM

Hi there....

Couldn't help but notice the issue that arose from Corona's response
to the plant extraction protocol inquiry.
To be honest, I think there are many people in Science or at least
biological sciences, that have no clue why they are there.  Sometimes
the only way of letting them know that they're actually very much
clueless is in that way, despite political incorrectness or lack of
tact.  When you're facing the music in a meeting or a defense, there's
no such thing as poliitical correctness or tacts, not even feelings.

So if this person is offended by this type of comment, probably won't
last in this business....